Monday, November 14, 2005

Alito and the Right to Privacy, Part 4

According to an article in "The Washington Times," Judge Alito at one time felt that Roe v. Wade was wrongly decided.

In 1985, while applying for a job with the Justice Department, he wrote that he believed that the "the Constitution does not protect a right to an abortion."    

He also wrote "I personally believe very strongly" in that position. According to the newspaper, Alito wrote on this on an application to become deputy assistant to Attorney General Edwin I. Meese III.

Apparently the document is being released from the the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library.

He also wrote: "It has been an honor and source of personal satisfaction for me to serve in the office of the Solicitor General during President Reagan's administration and to help to advance legal positions in which I personally believe very strongly."

"I am particularly proud of my contributions in recent cases in which the government has argued in the Supreme Court that racial and ethnic quotas should not be allowed and that the Constitution does not protect a right to an abortion."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home